In the October of 2008, during one late afternoon at Peasedown Youth Centre, the first ever Party in the Park meeting was held. The newly formed group was brought together by local Councillor Nathan Hartley. They included representatives from organisations that had hosted events before, and a collection of brand new people who wanted to get ‘stuck in’.
From the early beginnings of pulling together ideas on a large sheet of flip chart paper the Peasedown Party in the Park brand was born. The first event, pitched as a grand family fun day, was opened in 2009 by Glastonbury Festival founder Michael Eavis and held in the new location of Beacon Field. With a small stage for musical performances and around 1,500 people attending, this was a great start to a string of successful festivals. After each year modifications were made, committee members came and went, and new ideas were generated to attract sponsorship and promotion for the event.
In 2018, the Party in the Park team hosted their 10th event – celebrating a decade of successful festivals in Peasedown St John. Now, with an annual attendance of almost 3,000 people, the project has seen over £85,000 raised for the community, with £15,000 being directly given to Peasedown St John initiatives that benefit and support local people.
Over the years, many initiatives have been born under the Party in the Park brand. All of them are influenced by the team’s desire to make a difference in Peasedown all year round, not just for one day during the summer.
As well as the Summer Party in the Park, the team also co-ordinate:
- The Party in the Park Grant Fund: Some of the funding raised at events is re-distributed back out to community groups.
- The Sara Holley Community Award: Launched in memory of one of our first committee members who passed away at a young age and who was passionate about the village she grew up in.
- Be Part of It: A volunteer initiative scheme for people to sign up to so they can receive accreditation from their volunteering at Party in the Park events.
The future continues to look bright for Party in the Park. The team have been recognised at several award ceremonies for their efforts and dedication, and continually look for new ways to promote the aims and objectives of the festival:
- Building community spirit in Peasedown St John
- Bringing people together
- Putting Peasedown St John on the cultural map
This website features lots of information about how the team are making a difference in the community; now, in the past, and in the years to come.
Thank you for visiting.